Domestic Selection（Research Students）
|In this DOMESTIC SELECTION category, Kagoshima University recommends to MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) the privately-financed international students currently enrolled in Kagoshima University as candidates of Japanese Government Scholarship Students.|
Number of the recommended candidates and grantees at Kagoshima University
*MEXT does not accept "Domestic Selection" applications for the 2016, 2017, 2018 academic year.
Flowchart of the procedures
|Early November||Scholarship notice from MEXT|
|Recruitment in Kagoshima University||*Application deadline can differ by faculty/graduate school.|
|Selection in each faculty/graduate school|
|Late November||Seclection in the entire University||*MEXT Scholarship Selection Committee selects candidates based on their academic records and interviews.|
|Early December||University recommends the candidates to MEXT.|
|Mid-February in the following year||Notification of the results from MEXT|
|April||Start of MEXT Scholarship payment|
*The schedule will be subject to change each year.
Guideline for applicants
※The application for 2015 has been closed.
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship for 2015 (Domestic Selection)
MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) offers scholarships to international students who have been studying at Japanese universities. For details, please refer to the website of MEXT.
Applicants can apply through Kagoshima University. Please contact the student section at your faculty for details.
(1) Applicant must be a privately-financed international student who is currently enrolled in Kagoshima University under the resident status of “student”, and plans to enter a graduate school at Japanese University or to be continuously enrolled in a graduate school at Kagoshima University.
(2) Nationality: Applicant must have a nationality of a country which has diplomatic relation with Japanese government as of April 1, 2015. Applicant who has Japanese nationality at the same time of application will not be eligible.
(3) Age: Applicant must have been born on or after April 2, 1980.
(4) Health: Applicant must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue study at university.
(5) Academic: Applicant’s GPA of the last 2 years must be over 2.50 out of 3.00.
|＜Calculating formula for GPA＞|
|4 grade evaluation||優||良||可||不可|
|4 grade evaluation||A||B||C||F|
|4 grade evaluation||Score 100～80%||79～70%||69～60%||Under 59%|
|5 grade evaluation||S||A||B||C||F|
|5 grade evaluation||A||B||C||D||F|
|5 grade evaluation||Score 100～90%||89～80%||79～70%||69～60%||Under 59%|
|[（the number of credits as Grade points 3×3）＋（the number of credits as Grade points 2×2）＋（the number of credits as Grade points 1×1）＋（the number of credits as Grade points 0×0）]／The number of registered credits|
(6) Any applicant who meets any or all of the following conditions is not eligible.
①If the applicant was a grantee of Japanese Government Scholarship within the last three years: This condition will not apply to the applicant, who was an international student in Japan under (ⅰ) Japanese Studies Students Scholarship Program or (ⅱ) Japan-Korea Joint Government Scholarship Program for the Students in Science and Engineering Departments.
②The applicant is already a recipient of a scholarship from an organization.(excluding those specified as being for research expenditures)
③The applicant will not be able to graduate within the standard course term because of poor academic performance or a suspension.
２．One student will be selected through the screening as applicants for MEXT Scholarship students in Kagoshima University.
(1) Allowance: Under the fiscal 2015 budget, each grantee will be provided monthly with 144,000 yen (students enrolled in a Master’s program), or 145,000 yen (students enrolled in a doctoral program).
(2) Traveling Cost from Japan: The grantee who returns to his/her home country within the last-payment month of his/her scholarship will be provided an economy class air ticket.
(3) School Fees: Tuition will be paid by the Japanese government.
(4) Term of Scholarship: The scholarship will be payable for a period necessary for the grantee to complete his/her course (standard course term) from April, 2015.
Each applicant must submit the following application documents to the student section at your faculty by the specified date.
(1) Application A Application B
*Please refer to the following manual before you start filling in
Instructions for Completing the form (Japanese only)
(2) Photocopy of certificate of enrollment
(3) Photocopy of academic transcript of each academic year of the under graduate course and the graduate course
(4) Photocopy of your residence card
(5) Photocopy of your passport (description page giving name and photograph)
５．Closing Date for Application
Please contact the student section at your faculty beforehand.
(1) First Internal Screening:
Your faculty will conduct primary screening of applicants.
(2) Second Internal Screening:
The selection committee will conduct second screening of applicants based on submitted application documents, GPA and interviews.
(3) Final Screening by MEXT
(1) Results of the First Internal Screening will be notified from your faculty.
(2) Results of the Second Internal Screening will be notified around the end of November.
(3) Final results will be notified from MEXT in the middle of February.